Allah guides those who struggle

Steep mountain path

Allah guides those who struggle. “And those who strive in Our cause, We will surely guide them to Our paths.” – Al-Ankaboot, 29:69. Struggle may seem like something to be avoided, but the alternative is to walk in dim light, seeing nothing clearly. If our lives consist of sitting on the sofa watching TV, doing jobs without passion, shrugging our shoulders at the suffering of others, and accepting the unreality that is pushed at us by advertising and the media, then we are living in shadow, even when the sun shines.

Yes, we all have bills to pay, and sometimes we work jobs that we are not passionate about, in order to support our families. I have a website about money transfer services, and another about paying bills online. They are boring, but I spend time on them because they earn money. In my free time I struggle to do work that is important to me – this website being a notable example. Even a short article might take me two or three days to write, because of the limited time I have to work on it. Longer articles can take weeks. And yet people sometimes tell me that my writing has changed their lives.

We can all find a little time every day to pursue what we love, and to make a difference in people’s lives, even in a small way. Beyond that, we must strive to represent truth in everything we do:  in our family lives, our work, our entertainment – everything.

Imam Jamil Al-Amin wrote in 2006:

“In the heart there is an emptiness and a need which nothing can satisfy except for the remembrance of Allah (swt). The only proof of faith is in struggle, struggling in word and deed, in body and soul. The lack of faith will crush you far more than defeat ever could. ‘And what will explain to you the path that is steep?’ (90:12). Conscious struggle is the path that is steep. Struggle where bitter hardship and misfortune and difficulty becomes sweet tasting to the soul.”

There is no road to success except through the struggle for truth and righteousness. This is actually good news, because if you’re a seeker, if you’ve got a nose for truth, if you care about justice, then you’re already struggling, walking a hard road. It’s inevitable. Those who pursue truth and speak it out loud are seen as strangers and subversives. You might wonder sometimes if it’s worth it, or if you’re moving in the right direction.

Don’t worry. The fact that you’re struggling means that Allah is guiding you, and you’re on the right road.

Wael Abdelgawad is an Egyptian-American living in Fresno, California. He is the founder of several Islamic websites, including Zawaj.com and IslamicAnswers.com, and also of various technology and travel websites. He is a writer and poet, and has been a web developer since 1997. This project, IslamicSunrays.com, is very dear to his heart, as it has allowed him to express ideas that have growing inside him for many years. Wael is divorced and has one lovely young daughter. He practices and teaches martial arts (somewhat obsessively), and loves Islamic books, science fiction, and vanilla fudge ice cream. Wael is an advocate for human rights and blogs about these issues at AbolishTorture.com. He is also a volunteer with the MyDeen Muslim youth organization in Fresno. Wael tagged this post with: , , , , Read 266 articles by
  1. maroof says:

As-salam-o alaikum…Brother you are doing an excellent job…your articles are a hope for many…whenever i feel frustrated and my energy level is low, they motivate me and many like me…tonight i was so tensed but when i came across this article (Allah guides those who struggle), i’m making a lively plan for tomorrow so that i can utilise my time (i’m basically a student)… thanks once again

2. Amy says:

Lol must’ve been a late night for you brother- you forgot which website you were on! Look at your signature!

3. wael says:

Ha ha, it’s just habit. My fingers are so used to typing that. I corrected it, thanks.

All very true and inspiring, now that I have read the article properly.

When I first read this article, what stood out to me was this:

‘If our lives consist of sitting on the sofa watching TV, ‘doing jobs without passion’, shrugging our shoulders at the suffering of others, and accepting the unreality that is pushed at us by advertising and the media, then we are living in shadow, even when the sun shines….’

…I didnt read the rest and immediately thought: Well people have to work to put food on the table, to pay bills etc, so many a time, we have to end up doing ‘jobs with passion’. So Wael, jazakhAllahkhair for taking this into account :).

***

This inner struggle that you talk about is our personal battle, our own little jihad going on. Only by struggling, can one strive for and reach his or her potential. The steeper the road, the more muscle you’ll build along the way, making your legs and lungs stronger to endure the walk. So the road then wont have to become less steep to make your journey easier. Instead, you’ll have become strong enough so you can meet the steep road infront of you.

Allah says all believers will be faced with tests and trials, right. So our struggles towards righteousness are just that.

Without that want for justice and without that care for those who are less fortunate, our souls would be like the walking dead. May Allah give us the strength, time and ability to not only wish for justice, but to also do something about it, be it through giving financial aid, through voicing opinions, through creating awareness or through hands on help, aameen.

5. Carrie says:

I just came across this article, MashAllah, could not have been at a better time. JazzakAllah.

6. Afizah says:

I love your sharing. thank you so much Br0ther Wael. Hope and wish I will be closer to God my Creator.

7. huda says:

mashallah brother, how this article just relates to how I’m feeling and by you writing this for us all is a blessing may allah shower you in happiness ameen