Allah Will Make a Way Out

Al-Masjid An-Nabawi Al-Sharif, in Madinah

Al-Masjid An-Nabawi Al-Sharif, in Madinah

Are you stressed? Take a deep breath, and as you release it, let your heart slow down and be calm.

Step back and look at your situation objectively. It’s almost never as bad as you think. Just do your best, and trust Allah. He will show you a way forward, and bring you through. He will bring you relief from a direction you did not expect.

This is true. I have experienced it over and over in my life, and it is a promise from Allah:

“And whoever is conscious of Allah, He will make for him a way out, And will provide for him from where he does not expect. And whoever relies upon Allah – then He is sufficient for him. Indeed, Allah will accomplish His purpose. Allah has already set for everything a [decreed] extent.” (Quran 65:2-3)

Here is a true story that illustrates this point in an amazing way:

The Hotel Manager

Recently, a Muslim man was caught in a dilemma, where he faced two choices, both of which were onerous. This man was the manager of one of the largest hotels in Egypt. The hospitality industry in Egypt is one of the most competitive in the world so this manager always strived to provide the best possible service in his hotel. He paid attention to the smallest details, set the budget priorities, observed his staff, and got personally involved whenever a problem occurred. He was very good at his job. Because of this he was highly valued by his superiors.

However, there was one element of the job that galled him. A duty that he felt ashamed over. In any large hotel in Egypt, serving alcoholic drinks is a must, and that duty was killing him inside. He knew that serving alcohol is haram. It is forbidden by Allah, and whatever money comes from it is not blessed but haram; but it was part of the job and had to be taken care of, regardless of how he felt towards it.

Time went by and he performed his job admirably, but this business of selling alcohol was eating him up inside. Finally he decided to go to one of the well- known Egyptian sheikhs and ask his advice. After arranging for an appointment to meet this sheikh, he met him and explained the problem. The sheikh without hesitation said, “You must leave this job.”

That was not enough of an answer for the manager. He explained to the sheikh, “This is the only job I know. I’ve been working in this field all my life. I don’t know what else to do. I have a wife and children to take care of. I can’t just leave the job and be unemployed and penniless like so many others in Egypt.”

The sheikh replied, “Did you come to me thinking that I might give you permission to do what Allah forbids? Leave this job for the sake of Allah.”

The man, not knowing what to do, said, “But I have family to take care of. I’m their only source of money. How will I feed my children? If I leave the job, I won’t be able to provide them with the simplest needs of life. What shall I do?”

The sheikh reminded the manager of a verse from the Quran:

“And whoever is conscious of Allah, He will make for him a way out, And will provide for him from where he does not expect. And whoever relies upon Allah – then He is sufficient for him.”

The man returned to the hotel, knowing that he had to make the most difficult decision of his life. He knew now that this job would not satisfy Allah. As frightened as he was for his future, he was not willing to lose his faith and lose the hereafter because of a job; but he trembled when he thought of the risk he was taking, and the fear of what the future might hold for him and his family.

At the hotel the manager went about his job, looking normal on the outside. But inside he was thinking furiously, considering.  Then he made his decision. He decided to quit the job with no regrets. He became convinced that this was the right thing to do. With a strong faith and an absolute trust in Allah, he made a plea to the heavens: “O Allah, I trust You, and I’m doing this only for You. I know you will make for me away out, so please help me.”

He headed directly to his office, sat at his desk, and began writing his resignation.

As he was writing, the phone in front of him rang. It was his superior at the corporation office, calling with news. The manager was stunned and could hardly believe the news he heard, but it was true. The man was informed that he had been promoted and would no longer be responsible for managing this hotel but instead he would manage a new hotel located in Al-Madinah, the holy city of our Prophet (peace be upon him), and right next to the Masjid of the Prophet. Of course, being in Saudi Arabia, this new hotel sold no alcohol.

His dua had been answered in a heartbeat, from one moment to the next, before he even finished the letter of resignation.

Till this day, the man is still the manager of the hotel in Madinah.

Subhan’Allah…

“Our Lord, do not impose blame upon us if we have forgotten or erred. Our Lord, and lay not upon us a burden like that which You laid upon those before us. Our Lord, and burden us not with that which we have no ability to bear. And pardon us; and forgive us; and have mercy upon us. You are our protector, so give us victory over the disbelieving people.” (Quran 002.286)

Wael Abdelgawad is an Egyptian-American living in Fresno, California. He is the founder of several Islamic websites, including Zawaj.com and IslamicAnswers.com, and also of various technology and travel websites. He is a writer and poet, and has been a web developer since 1997. This project, IslamicSunrays.com, is very dear to his heart, as it has allowed him to express ideas that have growing inside him for many years. Wael is divorced and has one lovely young daughter. He practices and teaches martial arts (somewhat obsessively), and loves Islamic books, science fiction, and vanilla fudge ice cream. Wael is an advocate for human rights and blogs about these issues at AbolishTorture.com. He is also a volunteer with the MyDeen Muslim youth organization in Fresno. Wael tagged this post with: , , , , , Read 263 articles by

MaashaAllah beautiful story and very timely for me.

We try so hard to sort everything out to put everything in place, when really if we just do what needs to be done and leave the intricate details to Allah, He will sort them for us. Its that leap of faith.

2. Muhammad1982 says:

Masha Allah brother very inspiring story and a good lesson for all Muslims especially these times when we need to really connect with Allah (swt). Brother, this is lesson for all the Muslim leaders of the Muslim countries in particular and general public in general who have made their desires their God and are blindly following non-believers thus inflicting a lot of pain and sufferings upon Muslim masses of these countries.
    For a while I thought you were writing about me lols, though a bit different. I started in a chain where 70% of money was coming from Alcohol (may Allah forgive me for that). Then, I kept praying for a good job and subhan Allah, all praise to HIM (swt) who blessed me with a job in hotel where still like 20% of money I earned was coming from alcohol and spirits. Then after applying for several jobs and asking Allah (swt) to bless me with a job where I can earn halal money. Longest I worked in hotel was 1.5 years.
    After a few months I was offered another job which was more physical but Alhamdullilah no haram money in that:). I was so happy, even though it was bit difficult at times but then I got a more easier job which I am working till date which is 100% halal:)
    Subhan Allah, he does answer our prayers but we have to be patient.

Wasalam,
    Muhammad1982.

• Faith says:

Very nice article brother.
      MUhammad bahi your story brought tears in my eyes. I was feeling so low today but your story made me realize. Don’t despair. Insha’Allah Allah will listens your prayers. 🙂
      tHanks for sharing.

• Farroq says:

Alamdullah I left my bank job was working as a Corporate Manager for the sake of Allah in May 2011 and started a business in Africa which i thought will start giving returns in 3 months but Allah has planned something different now it’s almost 11 months I am still struggling have sold all my wife’s jewelry now I don’t have anything to sell also . But Alamdullah still believe Allah will make a way out as he has promised . I will keep you guys posted of my journey !

• friend says:

brother farroq,

ishallah , you will never regret if you had left the job for the sake of Allah.may Allah make it easy for you and prosper you here and the hereafter. look at it this way , may be Allah is de-cluttering your life and inshallah he will fill it with His love and mercy. i certainly found it that way. the more i was getting financially weak and emotionally weak( due to failing relationship) the more i was getting closer to Allah , now when i look back if i wouldnt have lost what i lost , i would have never found Allah and His mercy.

• farooq says:

still tough but alamdullah holding on but need all your prayers 🙁

• friend says:

inshallah brother, Allah is with you and He will make it easy for you.

• Salman says:

Brother please update us about your struggle….are you doing ok now?

• farroq says:

Things got worse now. unable to pay my children school’s fee, house rent, food etc. I am now living my life from day to day handouts . AlamduAllah I have no doubt on Allah’s help but when it will come no idea. I take comfort that Allah will not burden a person more then he can take. My children now started losing faith they say they are tired of Duas Allah doesn’t listen. I also sometime get weak but turn to Quran for answers and message I get is Sabar. I have very little time left sometimes I think what I have done wrong but this is the way of Allah he test like this only. Pls pray for May Allah give me Sabr as again Iam thinking of joining a bank as don’t have any other experiences. The business which I started in Africa still no success, now can’t bear the expenses of the business also. But I always think Inshallah Allah will make a way out as otherwise no one will leave a haram job after seeing my fate . So Inshallah Allah’s help is near. There is always lite at the end of tunnel.

• fian says:

What s ur status now ?.. I am also going to leave a bank.job.

3. Faeeda says:

Mashallah so inspiring…

4. Sadaqat says:

Sure Allah help, who fear Allah, who is sincere, honest, & love Allah and passing life as per Allah’s order & Qur’an’s message. Allah knows every thing, even what is in the heart.
    Narrated Abdullah ibn Abbas:The Prophet (pbum) said
    If anyone continually asks pardon ( absolution ), ALLHA, will appoint for him a way out of every distress, and a relief from every anxiety, and will provide for him from where he did not reckon
    (Abu-Dawud Book 8, Number 1513

5. Sunflower says:

Masha Allah I needed this!

6. Hope says:

Assalamu Alaikum brothers and sisters… Please make duaa for me and my fam….My husband lost his job and we are in serious debt… I can only put my trust in Allah because we are going through difficulties.. May Allah give us patience so that we can turn to him Ameen…..

7. Errol says:

Assalamu Alaikum
    All praises due to Allah alone. I was fired from my Harram job, Alhamdulillah. I was scared, worried and frightened. I thought the world came to an end because I lost my job. I had no income. I cried and then I turned my heart, mind and soul to Allah, the beneficent the giver. I spoke to Allah and I asked him to forgive me, have mercy upon me, delivery me and help me out of the madness. After I spoke to Allah, it was as if a ray of sunshine came over me. I instantly felt better and I lost the worry while letting go of all the problems. I closed my eyes and fell back into the blessings of Allah, sure enough I was o.k by the the will of Allah. I have not work for anyone since I lost my job. I now trade on eBay, Alhamdulillah, mainly selling fountain pens.
    I am thankful for the blessings and greatness of Allah. He alone we must all put our trust in. May Allah give us all his highest blessings. Salam.

8. Ilhem says:

I am feeling very down. that’s why i came to this site, read the brothers story and i felt reliefed. i am happy for him. allah is great . actually I am also very stressed in my life. When people I valued the most left me without any reason. I lost hope. I also feel like that nothing will ever get better. but I want to trust Allah. that things will get better. I want to live for people who care for me. who values me. for my parents. for few friends of mine who are worried about me. I want to value each and everyone. I pray that Allah show me a way soon… I pray that all this pain comes to an end and that I become happy. I love Allah. and no matter how hard it be now. I want to believe deep inside that allah will help me. may allah help all of us and end our pain with his mercy. aameen.