Be All About Allah

Mountains above a beautiful valley with flowers

By Wael Abdelgawad for IslamicSunrays.com

Be all about Allah and your connection with Him, no matter what’s happening around you. On Yawm Al-Qiyamah (the Day of Resurrection) it will be you standing before Allah. No one will step in to take your place. No one will dispute truth or promote falsehood. No bigot will harm you, and no lover will help. Only your relationship with Allah will matter, while all else will be irrelevant, so don’t wait until it’s too late. Let it be all about you and Allah, right now.

Represent your faith. Live your deen with courage. With a single verse of the Quran you could light up a city. With the Shahadah (the testimony of faith) you could build a nation and part the sea, and I’m not speaking of the Red Sea, but of the sea of chaos, suffering and war that covers the world.

Be yourself, speak your truth, express love in your daily actions and speech no matter what anyone else says or does. They are responsible for their own souls, and you for yours. You will not be asked about them, nor they about you. You will be asked what you did for Allah, for truth, for humanity; but that is about you, not them. The end is with Allah.

Don’t give up on yourself. You have far yet to go, Insha’Allah. Never hate yourself or harm yourself. You are more precious than the crescent moon.

Follow the path of your dream like a bloodhound. Be the ideal you, the you that shines in your imagination, the you that is brave and strong. That image of the “ideal you” that you have in your head, that is not a silly daydream, that is in fact who you are meant to be! Be that person, step out of your chrysalis, emerge from the shadows, hold your head up, and don’t worry what anyone thinks, because as Dr. Seuss famously said, those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter won’t mind.

Wael Abdelgawad is an Egyptian-American living in Fresno, California. He is the founder of several Islamic websites, including Zawaj.com and IslamicAnswers.com, and also of various technology and travel websites. He is a writer and poet, and has been a web developer since 1997. This project, IslamicSunrays.com, is very dear to his heart, as it has allowed him to express ideas that have growing inside him for many years. Wael is divorced and has one lovely young daughter. He practices and teaches martial arts (somewhat obsessively), and loves Islamic books, science fiction, and vanilla fudge ice cream. Wael is an advocate for human rights and blogs about these issues at AbolishTorture.com. He is also a volunteer with the MyDeen Muslim youth organization in Fresno. Wael tagged this post with: , , , , Read 243 articles by

Feels as though this article is talking straight to me Wael.

JazakhAllahkhair for your always poignant timing of wise, comforting and practical words.

2. GenDarme says:

Red Sea + step out of your chrysalis >>>
    were glowing in my eyes >>
    loved that u mentioned the Red Sea >> as i feel it’s part of myself >>
    it represents something in Me >>
    about the other quote <>
    came into my ears like a wanted breeze coming from North calling me 2 get ready 4 the Battle of life >>
    Well Done Wael >>

You express yourself well ma-sha-Allah. Do you live in Egypt?

• GenDarMe says:

well >>>
        u guessed right <> :D
        have u been there ?
        if u did then ofcourse u felt smthg 2wards this place >
        BUT if u didn’t then i recommend u 2 go there in Winteeeer >>
        cuz it’ll feel great at that time >>

Well, my family is from Egypt. But I was born in California. I visited Egypt several times when I was young (13 to 15 years old), but I have not been there in a long time.

Wael, I was reading this line again as I posted it on IslamicAnswers.com and I became a little puzzled about something where you said:
    ‘You and Allah, and all else will be irrelevant, so don’t wait until it’s too late’.

Am I misreading the sentence?? Is it supposed to read: ‘You and Allah’. (As in, the only important relationship will be of that between you and Allah, nothing else will matter).

Read it again and I think you’ll see what I’m referring to.

I meant it just as you explained, and I have altered the sentence to prevent any misunderstanding. Jazak Allah khayr. I do appreciate a sharp reader!

This is one of my favourites pictures, I would love to be on top of one of these mountains in the middle of the mist, resting my bones, looking nowhere, …just being one with the earth and the sky, just being.

Thank you for sharing so much Beauty.

Beslama

‘What can my enemies possibly do to me? My paradise is in my heart; wherever I go it goes with me, inseparable from me. For me, prison is a place of retreat; execution is my opportunity for martyrdom; and exile from my town is but a chance to travel’ – Ibn Taymiyyah

Beautiful!

• María M says:

If you alloud me a few questions,

Who was Ibn Taymiyyah? In which context, place, time and experience this was written?

Enemies, prison, execution and exile, this words cause a strong impact,…. and I have the need to put them in its right context,… a very dark enviroment should be surrounding him to mention this terms.

Friends, freedom, life and roots, what do these words mean to you?

Beslama

• SisterZ says:

Salaams Maria, I don’t know much about Ibn Taymiyyah. But seeing as I love his works, I should read about him. I love the quote and this part touches me mostly: ‘What can my enemies possibly do to me? My paradise is in my heart; wherever I go it goes with me, inseparable from me.’ People can try to chain me from doing and loving that which my heart and soul are so strongly drawn towards, but they can’t obliterate my thoughts, my feelings, my passions, my love, my dreams or my prayers. Those are between me and my Lord.

Friends, freesom, life and roots : ) I’ll get back to you on those x

The Wikipedia page on Ibn Taymiyyah is pretty good. See it here:

Ibn Taymiyyah was a great scholar of Islam who lived about 700 years ago. He had a huge intellect, and did much to return the Muslim world to following Quran and Sunnah, and to refute the infiltration of Greek logic into Islamic teaching. He also refuted extreme forms of Sufism and Shiism. He was a prolific writer who authored up to 500 books, many of which still exist. He was also a mujahid who led the resistance against the Mongol invasion of Syria.

Later, he was imprisoned when the ruler did not like a decree of his that made it more difficult for men to divorce their wives. In prison he was not allowed to have any books, paper, or writing instruments, so he passed his time praying and reciting Quran. He died in prison. His funeral was attended by almost every adult in Damascus.

6. Azaan says:

Subhan’Allaah , Jazak’Allaahu Khayran for wonderful post!

7. Azaan says:

Can i shear ur post in other forum ??

When we alloud ourselves to be our ideal, with our example we are allouding the others to be their best too. This implies to me the high responsibility we have to be our best to let the others be their best too.

Free choice but how am I going to stop myself, knowing that doing that I am stopping others.

I choose to be my best despite others thoughts, insha´Allah. Which is your choice?

The secret here is that Allah(swt) has put that seed in us, this is the only way to recognize this process and make it real.

Beslama

9. Shireen says:

Is this “those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter won’t mind.” authored by you, or is a proverb ?.. can I umm.. steal it? :) .. Obviously all credit to whoever/where ever it came from

Ha ha, you caught me out. The entire article is original by me, except for that one line, which is a quotation by Dr. Seuss, the children’s writer. I should probably acknowledge that in the article. In fact that quote was the seed for the article.

10. Shireen says:

haha.. Dr.Seuss!!! …. I guess that’s how the author managed to get popular it had nothing to do with “greend eggs and ham,
    — sam i am i ammmmmmmmmmmmmm” :P .. Thanks!

11. sad says:

thanks a lot brother weal,I’m going through a very tough time of my life and your posts are giving me courage to bear this tough time with being patient.may Allah swt gives you jaza,ameen