Most fears are false

Mountain field with wild flowers

An Arab poet said: “I said to my heart when it was attacked by a fit of anxiety, be happy, because most fears are false.”

Wael Abdelgawad is an Egyptian-American living in Fresno, California. He is the founder of several Islamic websites, including Zawaj.com and IslamicAnswers.com, and also of various technology and travel websites. He is a writer and poet, and has been a web developer since 1997. This project, IslamicSunrays.com, is very dear to his heart, as it has allowed him to express ideas that have growing inside him for many years. Wael is divorced and has one lovely young daughter. He practices and teaches martial arts (somewhat obsessively), and loves Islamic books, science fiction, and vanilla fudge ice cream. Wael is an advocate for human rights and blogs about these issues at AbolishTorture.com. He is also a volunteer with the MyDeen Muslim youth organization in Fresno. Wael tagged this post with: , , Read 265 articles by

I really like that quote:

What one needs at the time of anxiety is to be locked in a room with nothing but the means to do wudu, pray Salaah, recite Quran and to do dhikr for the entire day – with nothing but dates and milk for energy. One should have no access to people, phones or internet. Otherwise, human nature is such that if he ‘reacts’ while in a state of anxiety, the consequences can be disasterous.

However ‘responding’ when the fit of anxiety has vanished, will produce sweeter fruits.

***

It is none other than shaytaan ‘the annoying pain in the foot, the finger and the toe(!),’ that triggers anxiety and sets the servants of Allah away from their goal and destination.

Anxiety – it comes at the best of times. May Allah make us stronger so we can withstand it and get to the other side of the bridge!

“What one needs at the time of anxiety is to be locked in a room with nothing but the means to do wudu, pray Salaah, recite Quran and to do dhikr for the entire day – with nothing but dates and milk for energy.”

– Wow, wouldn’t that be something!

• SisterZ says:

Solitary confinement is sometimes just what the soul needs.

Moi

• Faith says:

So true sisterz.. That what I am trying to do to get rid of fear, pain and anxiety. It helps a lot. However, sometimes Its really hard to cope with it.

What one should do then at that time of difficulty?

• SisterZ says:

Dear Faith, Asalaamualaykum,

I am sorry you are going through a difficult time. I hope you will not have taken my words in a completely literal sense, as spending time with family and loved ones can help to ease pain too.

Nothing works as a quick fix rememdy though, it takes time and patient perseverance to move one through difficult phase of life into a better one.

During this time, don’t be afraid of being alone though. Sometimes being alone helps us as we get the chance to become closer to Allah, we can meditate and detox our minds.

Keep persevering Sister. It will become easier inshaAllah.

2. Faith says:

Thank you Sisterz for such kind and helpful words. I know life is not that easy. We all face hardships. I try my best to be happy with whatever Allah provides me with.
    Its just I don’t understand lately some days I feel very down. I feel whatever is happening in my life is because of me. I feel like May be i have hurt others and that is why Allah is not happy with me.
    However, I am a person whose even not at fault will still apologize for everything. So that from my side no one get hurt.
    I believe Allah sees everything and I have a fear of Allah. Therefore, i don’t want to hurt anyone and say bad thing about anyone.
    I just don’t understand why I feel guilty all the time. Other days, I am happy and I know and have faith that InshAllah everything will be okay one day because Allah is with and that what I all need.

3. Faith says:

Salam Brother
    I am not good with words but I would like to thank you and appreciate you for your work. May Allah bless you with all the good things in life. Also, all the people whose input make this website so great. It gives one strength n peace.
    Jazak Allahu khayran