Poem: A House I’ve Never Seen

Beautiful farm painting

A House I’ve Never Seen

Shrugging off doubts.
Wistful for a house
I’ve only seen in dreams,
a green garden for my child,
a woman with kind eyes.
A Western sky
and a bell of brass.
A wall that evil cannot pass,
a patch of sunlight on the grass,
a place to live and laugh.

– Wael Abdelgawad, 12-31-2011

Wael Abdelgawad is an Egyptian-American living in Fresno, California. He is the founder of several Islamic websites, including Zawaj.com and IslamicAnswers.com, and also of various technology and travel websites. He is a writer and poet, and has been a web developer since 1997. This project, IslamicSunrays.com, is very dear to his heart, as it has allowed him to express ideas that have growing inside him for many years. Wael is divorced and has one lovely young daughter. He practices and teaches martial arts (somewhat obsessively), and loves Islamic books, science fiction, and vanilla fudge ice cream. Wael is an advocate for human rights and blogs about these issues at AbolishTorture.com. He is also a volunteer with the MyDeen Muslim youth organization in Fresno. Wael tagged this post with: , Read 259 articles by

Insha´Allah.

2. friend says:

i have never seen one either.
    maria your comment has a big IF in it . may Allah keep us happy in what ever he has planned for us and help us identify our will to His will.ameen

3. Muhammad says:

What a beautiful poem!

4. Melissa Diaz says:

This poem represent a yearning of a heart to have a family, a small happy family in the shelter of the Deen. It touched profoundly the heart of the reader. If this kind of a house is a dream… so chase it. Make it happen. Surely it won’t be easy. But at least give efforts to make it come true. Come out from the comfort zone to reach out the dream and be ready for the consequences… WalLaahu a’lam bish showab….

5. Dreamlife says:

Short but so meaningful and beautiful. May that house be yours soon, insha-Allah. And eternally in the Hereafter too 🙂

Jazak Allah khayr, Dreamlife, and Ameen. Maybe you could add my site to your links list, I’d appreciate it.

• Dreamlife says:

No problem – have done so. I’d appreciate you doing the same for me.

I’m interested in contributing to the site, but can’t find a contact email for you – so please send me a mail about it.

JazakAllah