Poem: Fill it With Al-Fatihah

Beach foam

Fill it With Al-Fatihah

Wounded brother, sister in belief:
pour out your cup of hurt and grief
and fill it with lavender leaf.
Fill it with sunlight seed
and the moon’s reedy laugh.
Fill it with the history of grass,
and the joy of breath.
Fill it with hope
and the poetry of God.

Fill it with Quran
and the moment before dawn.
Fill it with Allah’s soul-saving light,
and the power of His love
expressing in your life.
Fill it with dhikr like gold,
and Prophetic stories
that were old
a thousand years ago.

Fill your cup with beach foam
and the smell of baking bread;
with the mark of prayer
impressed upon your head;
with lemon drop soup
and the comfort of your bed.
Fill it with gratitude
for His gifts from above.
Fill your cup, and laugh,
for you are loved.

Wael Abdelgawad

April 14, 2011

Wael Abdelgawad is an Egyptian-American living in Fresno, California. He is the founder of several Islamic websites, including Zawaj.com and IslamicAnswers.com, and also of various technology and travel websites. He is a writer and poet, and has been a web developer since 1997. This project, IslamicSunrays.com, is very dear to his heart, as it has allowed him to express ideas that have growing inside him for many years. Wael is divorced and has one lovely young daughter. He practices and teaches martial arts (somewhat obsessively), and loves Islamic books, science fiction, and vanilla fudge ice cream. Wael is an advocate for human rights and blogs about these issues at AbolishTorture.com. He is also a volunteer with the MyDeen Muslim youth organization in Fresno. Wael tagged this post with: , , , , , Read 266 articles by

As salamu alaykum, Wael,

Tears of joy fill my eyes after reading such a beautiful and comforting poem, Subhana Allah, you touch my Heart deeply, thank you so much.

Beautiful picture, sand and sea foam, I have it in my blood. Thank you very much, Wael, I higly needed a reminder like this.

Beslama

María

2. Taz mohammed says:

As slamo-lakium x what a beautiful poem… SubhhanAllah x

Touch my heart too.. what an insperation and I would love to publish this on facebook with your permission, please. This is what is needed for our young generation and I tell you .. it will bring courage and understanding and more so… that it will nudge people to better themselves in the way of Allah. InshaAllah .

Jazak Allah khayr brother Taz. You may publish it on Facebook; please include my name and a mention of this website, IslamicSunrays.com, or a link to the the Islamic Sunrays Facebook page.

3. Amira says:

Assalamu alaykum Brother,
    You articles are truly heart felt and inspirational.Mashaa Allah.May Allah swt reward you for the effort you are putting into this work…..Dear Brother I would like to share your articles on my blog and facebook page where we discuss various topics as Muslimahs so we can increase our Eman Inshaa Allah.
    Jazak Allah Khair

Dear Amira, Wa alaykum as-salam wa rahmatullah. Thanks so much for your kind comment. Yes, you may share the articles, as long as you include my name and a link back to IslamicSunrays.com.

Wael Abdelgawad
      IslamicSunrays.com

• Amira says:

As I would definitely refer other Muslims especially sisters to your wonderful website Mashaa Allah.Inshaa Allah I will definitely mention…..
        Courtesy of IslamicSunrays.com
        Article Written by Wael Abdelgawad…
        May Allah swt truly reward you for these inspirational words of wisdom you impart…Alhamdoulilah…..
        Jazak Allah Khair

4. ayesha jan says:

Mahasllah.thank u my bro u have helped me alot. and im sure other people..:)..im very inspired by this poam^_^ keep up the good work..:D thanku

5. AbdulAzeez Abdulateef says:

Jazakalahukhaeran, may Almighty Allah increase your knowledge, it realy interesting& add body touch. Salamualaekum

6. Renee says:

Wael
    I have spent hours reading your islamicsunrays.com. Your writing is food for my soul. I wept when I read this poem.