Quiet the Noise and Weep Before Allah

Sunrays shining through the forest

Road repair! Televisions blaring! Radios playing, phones ringing, appliances beeping, traffic roaring, horns honking, commercials, mall music, elevator music… That’s the external noise.

Then there is shame, worrying about the bills, frustration over relationships, guilt, anger, resentment… That’s the internal noise.

There’s so much clamor in our lives, outside and inside, that we can’t hear our own hearts anymore. We can’t hear Allah’s guidance, or we don’t recognize it when we do.

We need to find moments of total silence to pray, make dua’, read Quran, contemplate Allah… We need periods of uninterrupted calm to get back in touch with our fitrah, that pure nature given to us by Allah. We need to confess everything to Allah, lay ourselves bare before him and beg forgiveness, then forgive ourselves for what we’ve done, and pardon others who have harmed us, so that we can get rid of the baggage of bitterness and anger.

We must open our eyes to the clear light of Allah’s huda (guidance), and have tranquility in our hearts, and quiet in our minds, so we can recognize the guidance when it comes.

We cannot silence the modern world. But we can make personal changes. It’s okay to have periods of silence in our lives. We don’t constantly have to have our phones or MP3 players with us, or be listening to lectures… We don’t have be doing something every moment of the day.

So many of us are afraid to be alone and silent because that’s when the disturbing thoughts come:  resentment over the way someone treated us, regret over a lost love, shame over things we’ve done in the past, anxiety about the future. Believe me, I know exactly what that’s like.

It’s okay to feel those things. In fact we need to feel those things, to deal with them and confront them. When those feelings come we can turn to Allah and say, “Ya Allah, I have made mistakes, forgive me. I am lost, please guide me. I am worried, help me.” Let the tears come. Weep before Allah. Those tears are precious to Him. Allah, the Exalted, says:

“And they fall down on their faces weeping and it increases their humility.” (17:109)

Abu Umamah Sudaiy bin `Ajlan Al-Bahili (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said:

“Nothing is dearer to Allah than two drops and two marks: A drop of tears shed out of consciousness of Allah, and a drop of blood shed in Allah’s way. Regarding the two marks, they are: Marks left in the Cause of Allah and a mark left in observing one of the obligatory acts of worship of Allah, the Exalted.” [At-Tirmidhi].

And if tears do not come, that’s okay too. As long as you are honest with yourself and with Allah, and turn to Him with sincerity and humility, that’s what matters.

Find a place that is your special place, a refuge where you can be alone to pray, recite Quran, do dhikr, meditate and think. Amid the chaos and noise of modern life, take time to be alone with your Lord.

For me that place is in my bedroom with the door closed and the lights dimmed, late at night when everyone is asleep. I sit on the floor on a musalla and confess everything to Allah. But I also want to find an outside refuge, someplace in nature.

Do you already have a special place like that? Tell me about it. And if you don’t, then your mission is to find such a place, then comment here and tell me about it Insha’Allah.

Wael Abdelgawad is an Egyptian-American living in Fresno, California. He is the founder of several Islamic websites, including Zawaj.com and IslamicAnswers.com, and also of various technology and travel websites. He is a writer and poet, and has been a web developer since 1997. This project, IslamicSunrays.com, is very dear to his heart, as it has allowed him to express ideas that have growing inside him for many years. Wael is divorced and has one lovely young daughter. He practices and teaches martial arts (somewhat obsessively), and loves Islamic books, science fiction, and vanilla fudge ice cream. Wael is an advocate for human rights and blogs about these issues at AbolishTorture.com. He is also a volunteer with the MyDeen Muslim youth organization in Fresno. Wael tagged this post with: , , , , , Read 258 articles by
  1. friend says:

asalamalaikum,

very well said. just what i was thinking.

Trying my best to find that point where you feel completely dissociated from the world, relationships, pain, loss. a place where this constant vibration like mercury, come to still….. at peace

we all should strive for it , if one gets to have a glimse of it , it will surely make us come back for more. a real connection.a reliable relationship. a certain comforter. a constant wellwisher even when we have done wrong.

when i stand for salat i pray , ya Allah ,give me so much pleasure and enjoyment in this salah that no temptation or lust of life can compete with it.

inside the house its the same for most of the peole , usually its their bedroom, lights closed, no ones watching you except the one you are bowing in front of. paying attention to each and every dialogue with Allah.

outside its usually something constantly changing. i live near river , a constant flow of river keeps telling me that nothing is forever, not this pain iam feeling just now, nor the happiness i was feeling yesterday. like this flowing water , life is also not constant, full of high tides and low tides, calmness with episodes of storm. it keeps changing its path , highly dependant on its origin, and it will eventually end in the sea. once its course is over its job is done, the job to benefit the areas it has flown through.and if it crosses its boundaries it is capable of causing harm.

similarly watching the clouds go by, trees that were just tiny twiglets.3 yrs ago planted just as i was watching from my window now into young trees with small fruits for all the birds to enjoy.

it gives me great connection with God that he is the owner of this river, these clouds, these trees, he is contantly changing them, nothing remains the same ever, and nothing lasts for ever. so will not my sorrows, my pain, my anger, my resentment.i must keep flowing like a river, floating like the clouds, growing like the trees ,as he is the controller of my affairs.

in my imagination ( u can call it meditation) and thats my favourite place to be, i imagine that iam siting in front of Kaaba so close that there is noting between me and black cover. all my worries, my anger , my sorrows, my grief, my love for world just stops behind me and i can switch off from the world,and switch on with Allah. this is my real place to hide. i can feel the marble floor , the feeling of complete protection like a child in mothers arms, feeling secure and loved . (i have never been to makka, but inshallah when i go there im sure it will be a dejavu feeling!

may Allah gives helps us attain that level of pleasure in salat and sujood that it takes away the tamponade of pain around heart that each and everyone of us is carrying. ameen.

2. Fazmina says:

My usual place is at the corner of my room…. night time or before Fajr is the best time to talk to Allah (swt)….
    I feel soooo relieved…. Alhamdulillah…..
    ….got to have these daily dose of worship ;D

3. Wafa says:

For some people it is difficult to face up to reality, it takes something terrible to happen for them to turn to allah… Little do they know that it was his way of making them more spiritual beings. As for myself, i do my best to relflect daily through silence and being alone. I find that there’s always something that reminds me of allahs presence in my life. Whether it being in nature or in any situation. Al hamdolilah for his guidance.

4. Faith says:

Same- in my bedroom, late at night, lights off or dimmed. Everyone asleep so that no one disturbs. 🙂

Alhamdulillah. Lovely piece Wael.

Salaam.

5. Wafa says:

Forgive me brother wael, i need you to clarify something for me.. When you say quiet the noise, can please clarify that? Do you mean dismiss all that’s going on around you, or go somewhere quiet? Thank you

Both. Whenever possible, remove yourself from noisy places and find moments of peace and quiet. Turn off the radio and TV, don’t listen to music all the time, even turn off your phone sometimes. Secondly, quiet the internal noise through prayer, dua’, dhikr, Quran recitation, meditation and contemplation.

6. Kamilia says:

Salam,

Just wanted to say thank u so much Wael for your posts, i came across your emails around 2 months ago and wallah they have helped me so much jaza’allah kheir for your posts keep up the good work 🙂

7. badqismat says:

Please pray for me

• friend says:

dear badqismat,
      may Allah grant you peace of heart and mind.ameen

• badqismat says:

Thank you. I am going through a very difficult time
        and have no one to talk to

• friend says:

dear badqismat,

asalamalikum,
          as in one of the postings on this website very truly says-if Allah brought you to it , He will bring you through it. inshallah , have faith and trust in Allah , He loves you and will take you out of the turmoil you are going through, just keep your focus on Allah. talk to Allah what ever you are feeling and complain to Him for the hurt you are going through.He will not only comfort you but also provide a way out of the state you are in. if you want your brothers and sisters to givetheir input, write your problem on islamic answers ,their replies helped me through my hardship.
          may Allah give you releif in your hardship.ameen

• badqismat says:

Thank you friend for your kind words and making
            the time to reply to me. I dont know who you are but yet you still cared enough to reply.
            May Allah bless you and keep you happy and content always. Ameen. I am not very good at writing personal issues. It seems so much hard work and effort at the moment. I hope Allah will pull me through it very soon as i am at my weakest
            point in my life at the moment and find it so hard
            to carry on like this

8. I.d says:

I’m so lost please help me,,, im suffering

• badqismat says:

Salaam i.d please do not despair. I am here for you if
      you want to talk

I.d, I’m sorry to hear that you are suffering. The help I can offer you is this website itself. My writing here is my attempt to offer some hope and inspiration to others, Insha’Allah. May Allah help you and ease your heart.

9. friend says:

my dear fellow muslims,

for all of us who are struggling in one way or the other.

‘ Be mindful of Allah, you will find Him before you.Get to know Allah in prosperity and He will know you in adversity.Know that what has passed you by was not going to befall you and that what has befallen you was not going to pass you by.And know that victory comes with patience, relief with affliction, and ease with hardship. ( Hadith 19-An-Nawawi’s forty hadith).

i just keep saying this to myself all the time, and it truly helps.

On my prayer mat, in the corner of my bedroom, heater on, dim lights, mobile off, Quran at hand and lots of tissues. And infront of the sea, but the bedroom is nearer. Alhumdulillah for that.

11. Kauthar says:

Mine is on the prayer mat, in my bedroom, during the late hours of the night, or near the time of Fajr namaz. If the weather is good, I enjoy doing dhikr/reading Quran in the garden (especially on an early sunny morning when everything is so quiet and you can hear the birds, or close to Maghrib time watching the sky as it changes colour)….Alhamdulillah ala ni’matil Islam, wa kafa biha ni’ma…

12. Sana says:

I am begging Allah (SWT) to guide me and give me strength. Everything in my life is falling apart. And it is the personal/emotional ordeals that I can’t share with many people that are the hardest. I hope and pray Allah hears me. Its been more than two years, and I have spent so many lonely evenings without anyone to give my love and care. My friends tell me I am “too available” for people, and that’s why they take me for granted, and eventually cast me aside because I am no longer a mystery or charismatic. But I don’t want to play these tricks to attract people to stay with me. However it hurts so much to see people use me, again and again, and when I need them, there are not there, because they have “other exciting friends” to spend time with….Sometimes I wonder if I am getting punished by Allah? I repent for every mistake I have made, consciously or subconsciously. I have been waiting for so long for Allah to give me relief. Please pray for me Wael, as I shall do so for you. This site has been one of the best things I have come across, because you very gently and compassionately point to the direction of Allah, unlike other sites I have come across that are always so angry and commanding! Oh Allah, please erase my pain. Please make me feel appreciated and not used by friends, family and inshAllah, a good husband someday…

13. Help Helper says:

I like to go for a walk and talk to Allah. The reason why is that there are no distractions and you can talk out loud also. One of my favorite times to walk is right before it is about to rain. The air smells so amazing and it is very comforting.

Also, sometimes we don’t acknowledge certain things and we may throw away food. Next time you’re done eating, if there is food left over, instead of discarding it, why not go outside and toss it for the birds and squirrels. Maybe that animal prayed to Allah and asked for food that day and you going for a walk to clear your head and talk to Allah was the reason that animal got their food. Think about it. 🙂