You Are Not Alone

Lonely tree and sun rays

Sometimes it seems like every person in this world of seven billion souls is living a quarantined, lonely experience. You take the subway to work and everyone reads her own novel, or rests his head against the seat, not meeting anyone else’s eyes. Each person is surrounded by an invisible sphere of seclusion. Or you walk down a crowded downtown street, with thousands of people intent on their own lives and errands, disengaged from all around them…

Every one of us is the center of our own universe, living within our own skulls, constrained by the limitations of our senses. None of us can ever truly know the inner thoughts and feelings of another. This awareness can be isolating and depressing.

But let me give you a different perspective:

First, there is Allah. He knows the innermost hopes and fears of each of us. He is with us, watching us, protecting us and guiding us at all times. He loves us and wants good for us. So in a very real sense, none of us is alone. Allah is the unifying factor, the Master of all, the One who created a universe that functions in harmony and symmetry; even the chaos of nature is part of a greater pattern, and serves Allah in its way.

In fact, check this out: Abu Huraira narrated, “The Prophet said, “If Allah loves a person, He calls Gabriel saying, ‘Allah loves so and-so; O Gabriel! Love him.’ Gabriel would love him and make an announcement amongst the inhabitants of the Heaven. ‘Allah loves so-and-so, therefore you should love him also,’ and so all the inhabitants of the Heaven would love him, and then he is granted the pleasure of the people on the earth.”
(Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 54, Hadith 431)

Wow, subhanAllah. That is a lot of love being directed your way! That’s hardly congruous with the notion of an isolated existence.

Second, there is our noble Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). Regardless of our nationalities, our schools of thought or “sects”, we are united in honoring and revering him. We study his life, repeat his words, and send blessings on him. We live our lives by his teachings. We look up to him and love him as we love ourselves.

Third, there is our great deen of Islam. At any given moment, at this very second, there are Muslims in the world standing shoulder to shoulder in prayer, all facing the same location on the earth. Islam has brought us together in a unique and unprecedented global brotherhood and sisterhood. Though we may be strangers to each other in a physical sense, spiritually we are connected. We care about each other, we feel each other’s joys and fears.

Yes, we are biological beings, each living within our own limited bodies. When you or I think, no other human hears us. When you eat, no one else tastes it. When your head hurts, no one else feels the pain. When you harbor private aspirations and terrors, no one else feels the beating of your heart.

But Allah is with you, my brother, my sister. Allah hears. Allah is always ready to comfort you, respond to your prayers, and bless you with His grace.

And the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) struggled so hard for you. Yes of course, he fought for you! You are a part of his Ummah. You are one of his flock. His mission was for you as much as anyone else. On the Day of Judgment he will intercede for his Ummah; he will claim us, and struggle for us just as he did in his earthly life.

Lastly, we Muslims all share a spiritual bond, a common understanding of the world. We are family (even if some of us don’t act like it).

When the loneliness of life feels heavy on your back, remember that the isolation of human existence is an illusion. You are not alone. You are surrounded by guidance, blessings, and caring. You are loved, even when you do not see it. You are not alone.

Wael Abdelgawad is an Egyptian-American living in Fresno, California. He is the founder of several Islamic websites, including Zawaj.com and IslamicAnswers.com, and also of various technology and travel websites. He is a writer and poet, and has been a web developer since 1997. This project, IslamicSunrays.com, is very dear to his heart, as it has allowed him to express ideas that have growing inside him for many years. Wael is divorced and has one lovely young daughter. He practices and teaches martial arts (somewhat obsessively), and loves Islamic books, science fiction, and vanilla fudge ice cream. Wael is an advocate for human rights and blogs about these issues at AbolishTorture.com. He is also a volunteer with the MyDeen Muslim youth organization in Fresno. Wael tagged this post with: , , , , , Read 265 articles by

I give Faith of your words. We are not alone.

Beslama

I was sleeping on the sofa and after waking up and stretching, this was the first thing I read. It made a few tears trickle down my cheeks and I had to hold the rest as I didnt want my tears to be seen by the family.

Lovely article Wael, maashaAllah 🙂

This morning I was in the food store, and I just realized how engaged we are at our personalities, how we keep ourselves in those little cages where we put some notes telling: I am this way, and I do this that is what I am, and we keep clasifying ourselves without even knowing it, and that way we stop us to grow up beyond those characteristics until something happens that breaks this little cage and we discover something new, if we alloud ourselves, of course.

And this happens with our view of the rest of the world, I am not saying everyone is this way, I think is just a general tendency, why do you think we need to do that? It has taken a long time and go through many experiences to arrive to this awakening, and I still see just a little bit of the whole image, but I thank God, I am still here to discover the rest of it, now I know that there are a whole world outside the cage waiting for me.

Just a little thought to share.

María

Hi Maria, yes I don’t know why we do that to ourselves, pigeon hole ourselves in that way, as if we need a secure wall around ourselves in order to be defined.

There’s a story of a tiger who was raised in a cage all his life. One day the cage door was left open by mistake, but the tiger remained in the cage, looking at the door in fear, wanting to go out but afraid to try.

• María M says:

Thank you, Wael, you just mention a wild animal and that brings to my mind, instinct, survivence, saftety of the known, fear of the Unknown, … we as believers trust Allah(swt) as Knower of the Unknown, then there is no reason for fear to come out of the cage, thank you again Wael, very interesting story.

4. Shireen says:

MashaAllah, this reality is to scary, yet so true. Scary as in we are becoming drones…. May Allah swt protect us from the evils of that which surrounds us – internally and externally.. Ameen.

Reason for my comment is there is an excellent lecture to follow up this post by Shaikh Navid Aziz “He who has no one, has Allah swt” http://www.mediafire.com/? sboik4uuag0ftw6

5. Shireen says:

I read a book called “The Narcissim Epidemic- The Age of Entitlement” .. awesome read!! But it speaks of the new age …new mentality and to sum it up ..it’s an “i, i, i’ world that we live in……..I for me,myself and I. I think the older generation misses company but honesty think the kids of today are perfectly happy being entertained by their ipod/pads,wii’s, movies, fashion and nonsense. There’s a shift in ideas……it’s a scary, sad on… I think it’s also a big cause of divorce in this day and age, wa Allah Alim 🙁

Hmm, gives me some ideas for my next article.

• María M says:

As salamu alaykum Shireen,

Please let me disagree with you in one point, I don´t think kids of today are perfectly happy with the machines and all the stuff you mention, I think you are forgeting a very important issue and it is that they are human beings and one of the characteristics of being a human being is that is a social being.
      Maybe many people hide themselves in those thoughts of he is fine with the machine instead of acknowledging that they need human company and they have social needs and they need to be listened and all this important needs that have to be fulfilled since we are born and are responsibility of the parents till we are able to move on alone, …
      Many times parents are very tired or busy or just selfish to be with their kids and connects them to the machines because that way they are just gone,… what do we get with this behaviour? People that doesn´t know between each other, how do they relate to each other in the family? who was there to listened to the problems, joys, interferences, likes and dislikes, … at one point they will look at each other and they aren´t going to recognize each other, …It is our responsibility as adults and as parents to be there for our children to listen to them, to help them to grow up in a healthy way and with this is not just feeding their bodies, their souls, their minds, all of that needs the right food and we are responsible for that nourishment too.

I f not we will have maybe a healthy physical child, but are you conscious of what damaging can be not to be able to handle with emotions, and not having roots to hold on when life is tough, … this is a huge responsibility, we grow up with them.

Are you conscious that our children will be the future adults? How do we want them to be? How do we prepare them for Life?

I could be speaking about this for ages, we need to awake, we have the responsibility of awakening our children, they are full of interests, we just need to listen to them, to be there for them, ….

6. Shireen says:

wa alaikum salaam sister Maria

You’re absolutely right!! Much like how we were raised, or at least I was raised. Children are children for a reason, their understanding of the world is limited to that which their parents teach them or the enviornments parents put them in to learn.
    My generation don’t seem to hold parenting an important role, obviously this is extremely generalized because I know many that do. But the vast majority are content being “friends” and not parents.
    We are very much social beings this is why the rate of suicide is so high, because many have not been given the resources to acknowledge and understand their social needs. Probably the parents to blame. We are a whole society; sick! … Our void comes from the mere understanding of “me, myself and I” in that moment.Verily man has is impatient and has been created weak. Only thing that elevates us is Divine Legislation but then we live for God Alone…which isn’t “me,myself and I”…which then means we also parent for God Alone, ie our children are a trust to us (nothing more and definitely nothing less). wa Allahu Alim

7. Loreen says:

Beautiful article and well said. You are very talented and express it in such a simple way yet very powerful words.
    Mashallah